The cold Winter is rolling in and now it the time to really take a look at your house. Is your house Winter ready?
Here are a few tips on getting there!
- Remove leaves and debris from gutters so rain and melting snow can drain properly. My husband recently cleaned out our gutters and pulled out chunks of frozen leaves! Get those out of there!
- Is your furnace in need of a good cleaning? It’s the time of the year we use the furnace the most! Change filters monthly if needed, and get your furnace serviced annually.
- Repair any obvious drafty areas: windows, door frames, recessed lighting, and electrical outlets.
- Also check the attic to make sure there is at least 12 inches of insulation. That’s 1 foot!!!
- Since we have had our first big rainfall, now is a great time to look in the crawl space for flooding.
- Clean out those heating ducts! Dust, hair, dander, and debris get caught in there and can cause respiratory issues.
- Make sure there are fire extinguishers on each floor of your house and in your garage. Especially have one in your kitchen!
- Check the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Look how cute this detector is! It’s called the Chick a Dee and it makes a loud “Dee Dee Dee” noise when it detects smoke. It would make a great Christmas gift!